Sunday, January 13, 2013

Well, that was fun.

Posting every day was interesting. It encouraged renewed activity among a couple of the family blogs (Ox and Gwen), but it was also a little demanding.

I found that it was easy, once I got started, to "find something to say" every day. It was a struggle at first but quickly became habit. Once I let myself post whatever came into my head, pretty much, no matter how irrelevant or boring, it was simplicity itself. (Wry smile.)

The down side is that it was harder to find time or mental space to post things that were in any way meaningful. Plus the fact that, if I DID write something a little more thought-provoking, or a little longer, it was discouraging to know that it would be pushed down the page within 24 hours, to make room for another bit of inane nonsense.

Another down side is that comments dropped to almost nil, so the whole thing started to feel less like a conversation and more like I was perched on a stage in some dismal back alley bar, doing jazz hands and tap dance, sweating nervously, peering through footlights to find only a few bored, uninterested patrons scattered among mostly-vacant, sticky tables.

Yes, really.

So [bowing], I'm not doing daily posts anymore. And, like many cool things, it might turn out to be all the better for being in the past.

Next post - a little post-Christmas knitting.

3 comments:

Dave Hingsburger said...

Well, I for one, enjoyed your daily posts. Commenting has been down around the blogosphere ... something I've really noticed. But write what you want to write when you want to write it ... remember the boot is only half soled.

Jeannette said...

I agree, Shannon. I also really looked forward to your daily posts. Sorry that I was tongue-tied most days and did not comment. I grinned. Or I nodded my head. Or made some other all-too-silent comment, keeping it to myself because maybe it was not good enough to post out there for all the world to see.
Sorry.

Shan said...

Yes, Dave, the whole blog culture is waning, for sure.

Jeannette, thanks for reading. It's okay not to comment every time - I do that too!