Monday, January 28, 2013

2 and 3

So, we completed Week One. Both day 2 and day 3 were, in their own way, challenging...day 2 was a raging, freezing wind- and rain-storm. I thought my daughter might decide to sit it out, but apparently all those hours on horseback in the freezing cold or pouring rain have inured her to climatic inconvenience...she was stoic. I don't like wet feet too much, but within seconds of stepping outside we were both soaked to the skin, all over.

We persevered, and triumphed. It took me 24 hours just to get warmed up after that, though.

And I was so busy cooking dinner immediately afterwards that I didn't have time to shower or even blowdry my hair. So, wringing wet with rainwater, it dried on its own. It's growing out, at an awkward length, and it's naturally curly. This is what I looked like.



But with an oversized NaNoWriMo sweatshirt, damp yoga capris and misty glasses. And alone. So, not as attractive.

***
Day 3 was yesterday. The challenges for that run were: not enough sleep (for me), not enough water (for both of us) and not enough food (for my daughter). Luckily it was only week 1, so we still only ran a total of 8 minutes. If it had been one of the later weeks, we'd have been exhausted.

She said to me, cautiously, as we rounded the corner of the field about midway through, "I don't feel like I can run 10K."
"Oh, I couldn't run 10K either," I said. "Not right now. Give me two months and we'll see."

So we had a little talk about the whole idea of training - you can't do X at the beginning, but you will be able to by the end - and I assured her again that she is in complete control of whether or not she participates in the race, and whether or not she continues the training schedule with me. She was so relieved - it tells me she has felt considerable anxiety about it. Not about the race, but about how excited I am about training with her. She worries that she can't drop out or she'll hurt my feelings. She is such a nice kid. "Heck," I told her, "on the day of the race you can decide you don't want to run it, and you'd rather go get an ice cream with Dad and cheer for us as we stagger over the finish line."

But, so far, all is in train and chugging along. Next time, we'll pay more attention to food and water in the preceding 24 hours, and it'll be better.

5 comments:

Dave Hingsburger said...

Nice kids don't happen by accident do they ... ?

Susie Hewer said...

Oh, bless her!

She can be your Coach and spur you on when you feel like giving up. You're doing well so far and you've got ages to build up your stamina. Just make sure you don't push too hard in the early stages. Slow and steady progress is what's required.

Another Joan said...

Good work on both the training (in the rain - a coach once asked the crew if they thought every regatta happened in the sunshine!)and the parenting. #1 Daughter is learning great things about speaking up and about making choices. Off to the ice...

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

What a great daughter you have!! Keep up the good work. You inspired me to get started. Tomorrow I will be on Week 2, session 1 - I'm not sure I can run for 2 minutes without stopping!

stitchin' girl said...

What a great daughter you have!! Keep up the good work. You inspired me to get started. Tomorrow I will be on Week 2, session 1 - I'm not sure I can run for 2 minutes without stopping!

I'm not sure why it logged me as unknown...