Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Week 1, Day 1

Just came in from my first training "run"...I'm using the quotations because it was really more of a walk with teeny bits of acceleration.

I have an interesting (well, I say "interesting") thought process going on, consisting of being embarrassed that I can't just RUN 10 KILOMETERS. The embarrassment only applies to YOU people - the blog readers.

I find myself not wanting to tell you that I am starting the Couch to 10K - I'd rather wait until May, and tell you that I HAVE DONE the 10K.

Very strange.

Must be that fear of failing I mentioned the other day.

***
Overall, it felt good. Here are my impressions.

- I felt like I could have run a lot more, which is a good sign that the program may not be as entirely too much for me as I had feared. I need all 13 weeks, though, just to make sure I don't get shin splints.

- The running segments felt better in the last half than in the first half.

- It was so great to be in the outdoors again...I hadn't realized how house-bound I have been feeling.

- My daughter did well: did I tell you that Charlotte is doing the 10K with me? She is 11 - the one who recently broke her collarbone.

Thanks for all your comments on the "Should I or shouldn't I?" post. I really appreciate your cheering me on!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an avid walker, rather than a runner, but I totally hear you on how good it feels to get out in the air.

And I think you are fabulous for doing this, and yay or daughter doing it with you.

Gwen said...

Oh, you are marvelous! My daughter's karate sensei likes to say, "A year from now, you'll wish you'd started exercising today."

I'm excited to be doing this with you, even long-distance. Tomorrow is my Day 1.

And just in case it was unintentional: you've used your daughter's name.

Darci said...

Yea! You have to start some where :-)

Darci said...

Yea! You have to start some where :-)

Dave Hingsburger said...

Well, I am one of those on the couch cheering you on. I'm the guy who, when applauding Olympic atheletes has cheezie dust on his sweater. I'm the guy what has always said that fat people should never run, because you body makes weird slapping noises. So, go for it, besides you get to eat what you burn off - another cheezie?

Susie Hewer said...

Well done that woman! Please make sure you don't push too hard too soon and risk injury. Nice and gentle with no thoughts of running fast, just getting used to time-on-feet. Are you following a proper schedule? Good luck anyway xxx

Rona said...

Awesome! So happy for you and your girl! :)

Another Joan said...

Yay on Day 1. How did 2 & 3 go?? I'm still edging my way along our skating rink street as I will NOT drive to run. I figure this is good balance/recovery practice.