Sunday, January 20, 2013

Fear itself?

My friend asked me if I wanted to sign up for the Times Colonist 10K with her, in preparation for another event I'm planning for next year.

Thing is, the other event is a walk - I'm not insane enough to try running 64K. BUT, my friend wants to RUN this 10K, not walk it.

I don't know whether I can do it. And by that I mean, I don't know whether I have the grit and bloodymindedness that it will take to get out there three times a week for the next 13 weeks, to teach myself to run 10K. I'm afraid to try.

Weird.

I wish I had a partner...a nice, sedentary partner who is starting from nil, just like me, and who will encourage me to get out and move my lazy arse despite the miserable winter weather. (The friend I'm doing the 10K with doesn't live in my town, so she's out.)

Should I try it? Or, should I lie down on the couch with another cinnamon bun until the urge passes?

12 comments:

Rona said...

Yes, do it! Alison & I are! :)

Rona said...

Yes, do it! Alison & I are! :)

Darci said...

Do it! Even if take a long time to run it your body will thank you!

Rona said...

Another idea, there is also the Goddess Run in Victoria! Here's the link http://victoriagoddess.com/

Dave Hingsburger said...

I feel, as a man that can lose 6 pounds from passing wind, I have no right to comment. But what the hell ... do it. Joe and I have but one question we ask ourselves about decisions like this - will it make a good story. Since life is really nothing but a collection of stories, you owe it to yourself to have good ones to tell. In this case, even trying and then decidin 'oh frack it' will make a funny story.

Ames said...

Maybe you could start more gently with a 2K run. . . .


A.K.A. KK Run. . .


A.K.A. Krispy Kreme Run.

Gwen said...

Oh, how I wish we could do it together! "Sedentary partner" describes me to a T.

Let's discuss this further on the phone tomorrow.

Another Joan said...

Would a virtual buddy help? I am in the ice-bound Interior and going mad and also need some accountability. My goal is to be able to run to and from the gym when the roads thaw. That's about 8.4 k round trip and all down there and the obvious opposite coming back!! Also, to be able to row for more than 20 minutes without collapsing but that's a separate issue!!!

Shan said...

Ames: luckily, THAT kind of 2K run is not geographically possible for me!

Joan, YES! I will post my training sessions after I do them, and if I don't, you can get after me in the comments!

I am planning Tuesday/ Thursday/ Saturdays. Likely PMs except for the Saturday, which will hopefully be AM.

stitchin' girl said...

I hope you decide to do it! I am trying the walk/run method of training - it isn't so bad yet, but I'm still at walk 3 minutes/run 1 minute!

Good luck

Annalea said...

DO IT!

Granted, I'm married to a madman who registers for 50k's in the mountains . . . but I'm a sedentary girl who would start from nothing, too. I've seen Vern go from no exercise to running astounding distances, and it's such a great transformation.

Just one note: "running" doesn't mean "never walking a step". It means "running some or most of the time, listening to your body and walking some to conserve strength". Never walking a step is called a sprint, and you can't do that for long. :o)

Go knock'em dead!

Annalea said...

And P.S.) I love what Dave wrote:

"Joe and I have but one question we ask ourselves about decisions like this - will it make a good story?"

Now that's wisdom.