Thursday, January 15, 2009

Behind the Scenes

I used to write a knitting blog. I miss those days sometimes.


Niece's Socks
Pattern: none. Basic Stockinette with a 1X1 rib at cuff, a slip-stitch heel, and a wedge toe.
Yarn: Fortissima Socka mit Bambou, 60% wool, 25% bamboo, 15% nylon
Yarn Source: Needle & Arts Centre
Yarn Cost: $20
Needles: 2mm and 2.25mm Addi Turbo
Tension: 40 sts over 4 cm
Cast on: December 30, 2008
Bound off: January 10, 2009
Size: Youth size 2-4
Notes:
I tried to use the Addi Turbo double-points for this project, but got a lot of laddering. It might be because the double-points are pretty heavy and I'm used to the lightness of a circular. I went back to magic looping with a slightly smaller needle (Addi doesn't make a Turbo in 2.25mm in the 120 cm length).



Gwen's Chalet Socks
Pattern: Chalet Socks from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks
Yarn: Phildar Preface, 70% wool, 30% polyamide
Needle: 2.5mm Addi Turbo 120cm long circular, for magic loop
Tension: about 36 sts over 10 cm
Cast on: December 27, 2008
Bound off: January 8, 2009
Modifications: Left out one cuff repeat, making these a little shorter in the leg. I was worried about running out of yarn - needn't have been, since I have more than enough left over.

Notes:
I'd make these again - they went surprisingly quickly and were fun to knit. The pattern was a little tricky to memorise at first, but after about 2" of the travelling twisted stitches, I had caught on and didn't need the chart too much anymore.


I've cast on another project, from the book I got for Christmas from my sister. These are Veronik Avery's "Woollen Gloves" from Knitting Classic Style. They're meant to go under a pair of fingerless Latvian mittens, but I'm undecided as to whether I'll make the mittens or not. They are pretty cute together....

The yarn I'm using is Crystal Palace's Panda Silk, a blend of merino, bamboo and silk. It's gorgeous yarn. Soft, smooth, with a little lustre...I'm knitting it on 2.5mm needles and getting a little finer tension than the pattern specifies, so the glove is nice and snug. It's a nice quick knit, with an easily-memorised pattern - a simple lace scallop. In fact, it's almost the exact same pattern as the Lacy Scallops socks.

Soon I'll be casting on for the next of Ruby's sweaters - Mason-Dixon's "Fern" cardigan, knit in Sisu sock yarn. My goal is to finish it by Easter - knit on tiny needles and with sock yarn, it will probably take me some time, so I'd like to get going. At the moment though, I'm happy to be knitting something for myself for a change...

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oooh, I love the chalet socks. I always thought those would be too fiddly to stand knitting. Maybe I should reconsider and start looking out for some nice yarn. They'd be perfect on my new needles!

Anonymous said...

Oh how pretty it all is.

I, too, recently took a break from my knitting-for-others queue to make myself some legwarmers.

knititch said...

the twisted socks are pretty pretty. i just bought knitpicks dpns. they cost a fortune here but they are certainly nice working with.

Stace' said...

Total subject change here:

Ames told me of your suggestion to try whole milk yogurt. WOW!!! I could only find it in Vanilla in the town I was in yesterday. I tried it. Absolutely amazing!!!

mel said...

Lovely knits Shan! Those Chalet socks look like such an enjoyable knit... someday, someday!

Glad you are doing some knitting for yourself, too :) Though I can't wait to watch Fern come into being.

Ames said...

Awesome socks.

Done any mending lately?

Gwen said...

Our house is in a frenzy of anticipation. Thanks for the voice mail; my daughter listened to it with great joy.

stitchin' girl said...

I love the yarn you chose for the fingerless gloves!! It is always so much fun to finally knit something for yourself!

Tabatha said...

I like those long gloves that are supposed to under the fingerless ones.

I have been on a knitting break lately. All that have to be on time Christmas knitting zapped my knittingness.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dear HSB
I prayed for tolerance and love today and for certain for Mr.HSB but admit to coveting ur knitting skills. I love YOUR WORK!!!!