Monday, January 21, 2008

The Voice of Reason is Ridiculously Young.

I have spent much of the day in verbal negotiations with my youngest daughter. She is at the foot-stamping, hands-on-hips age of 3.5, wherein she desires nothing more than to escape the totalitarian state under whose oppression she currently languishes, and set up a new utopian society called "The Wuhlud Wheya Kids Can Do WHATEVAH THEY WANT TO WIF NO. MUMMIES!!!!" (You have to shriek that last part.)

By 11.30 I was extremely cross. I had a raging headache, my womb was cramping (because it can't quite believe it produced this viper) and I was literally biting my lips to keep from screaming. As I stood there slowly counting to ten twenty, the six-year-old raised her head from the book she was reading and calmly observed, "Something tells me she's not going to do what you want."

I'm thinking of renting her out for interventions.

9 comments:

Stace' said...

Shan,
Check out Rosemond.com and see what you think of this guy's ideas.

I've been able to keep my sanity with the help of this man's input, and find creative ways to turn the table at those pivotal moments

Let me know what you think.

knititch said...

ho ho. i can imagine.

Gwen said...

Yeah, I want to relocate to the Wuhlud Wheya Moms Can Lay On the Couch and Read Books Wif NO. INTUWUPTIONS!!! Let's move there together.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha ha --- just can't convey how amused I am by this. It makes me feel better, as well (I know you know why), although I might be interested in renting a voice of reason ....

Heather said...

so perfectly 3! i have always said 3 was worse than 2. we have huge 4th bday parties cuz i hate 3 so much :-)

Michelle said...

Oh, do I ever empathize. My little girlie is the same age, and I feel like I am constantly being tested. It's kind of reassuring to know I'm not the only one trying to rein in a would-be mini dictator.

Karen S, Lykkefanten said...

Heh heh heh, I sorta remember being in that age (the 3.5 that is) unfortunately my mother wasn't the giving in type, so I had to give in first ;-)

Jo said...

Or non-invasive non-hormonal birth control...

Anonymous said...

Well, clearly you did something right the first time around, so it follows that the little one will one day calmly read in the chair. Good job.