Okay, I'm done.
Remember when I mentioned before that I let my daughter choose the fabric for her Easter dress? Do you see why I called it a tactical error? It's Granny's couch, made into a dress.
I had to do something to tone down the Upholster Chic, so I bought some old-rose cotton and made a little inset for the front. I just took the pattern's front piece and drew a more-or-less arbitrary line in the middle of the chest, then cut that piece out of the contrast fabric, embellished it, and seamed it to the dress front.
I think the front inset really works here - it distracts the eye from the pure kitsch of the floral print.
Here's where I point out mistakes. Because I wouldn't want you to think I didn't know they are there.
1-The collar could use a press. There, on your left. See it? I shoulda done that before I took the photos.
2-The bias binding at the back neck is uneven. Just on the inside, but still. You can see it in that first photo, above.
3-The embroidery detail on the left and right collar does not match. I had to fiddle with the collar pieces to get the curve to work as I was stitching, and I didn't do it evenly. I should have basted myself a line to follow.....oh, how I should have basted.
4-One or two of the lines of embroidery on the inset are crooked. Again - basting will happen next time.
And the Successes:
1-matchy shoulder seams.
2-centred sleeve motifs
So both Easter dresses are done a week ahead - I'm happy about that. Next sunny day I'll wrassle my kids into their frocks and take pictures - they are all about the grass and mud today, so best the dresses stay far, far away.
Very Easy Very Vogue 9462 with contrast inset, sleeve bands, and machine embellishment added by me
100% (quilting) cotton
Next sewing thing I am trying to get finished is the quilt I showed you 'way back when - I'm handquilting only one block of this sucker, because I don't have the patience to do the entire thing. This is taking long enough as it is - by the time I get done I am going to be able to drive nails into solid wood using only the tip of my middle finger. I have a formidable seamstress' callus forming.
And I'm hoping to have Fern knitted by this time next week. The button bands and weaving of ends will take probably another week after that.
Onward, my lovelies!