Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thank you Dr. Skelton.

I was reading this article on How to be a Successful Blogger and, according to its rules, I am doomed to lose my entire readership because I have not been "reliable". (Note my use of sarcastic quote marks.) Apparently I must post nearly every day (it is permissible to miss one or two here and there). I must keep in mind that I am having a "conversation" with my Readers and therefore when they comment I must respond with a comment of my own lest the Readers' delicate sensibilities be offended and they return no more.

On the other hand I spent a fair few minutes in university learning about those poor rats who, when they were rewarded randomly by a food pellet after pushing a button, pushed the button for eternity even after food had been discontinued altogether. One group of rats got a food pellet every time they pushed the button: this group would stop pushing after a few unsuccessful tries. Another group never got a food pellet, and these would stop pushing almost immediately. But the rats who were fed randomly? pushed that thing until they actually perished, their little ratty paws poised in stiffening death on the very button that held them in thrall.

So according to the rules of behaviourism, I am perfectly on course to keep my readership hanging on my every word, despite my habit of posting Not At All, then Five Times Per Week.

See you tomorrow!

14 comments:

Kate said...

Dude, you just called me a rat. Seriously.

Now where's my nice reply?

Mwah!!

Ames said...

Wow, Kate, I think you are right. And, it was so subtle. My delicate sensibilities have been offended.

Olga said...

That brings up the question: are you suppose to go to every person who commented and thank them? Or only if they asked a question? Isn't it enough to just visit their blog and leave comments? I never know if I'm burning people by not thanking them for thankng me for the thank you. Blogging is so COMPLICATED!!!!!!!

I could use one of those rat biscuits about now.....

Kris said...

hmmm, what about the no reply email addys for blogger? I don't like them because I like to respond to comments.

Shan said...

Yes I just called you all rats, and I thought it was hilarious.

And I didn't even TELL you about the rats who were given two buttons: one administered a shock of sexual pleasure whenever they pressed it, and the other administered a food pellet. Needless to say, the rats chose the Tinglies every time, and starved to death.

Yes, I think of lab rats a lot. As you can tell from that poem.

I don't know what the etiquette is, but sometimes I reply and sometimes I don't. I be a busy girl.

I don't like the no reply email addys either - it forces me into either the public forum, or silence.

Tabatha said...

You crack me up.

I am totally a button presser. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Heh! I'm with you dude. Especially since I haven't been able to blog as everydayishly the last couple of weeks because I've had to WORK FOR A LIVING - a need that Dr. Skeleton (not a typo) seems to be blissfully ignoring.

And no, I don't require a reply to my comment.

Jo said...

Hmm... I guess I am not a reliable blogger, either...

But I like you just fine ;)

Sonya said...

So get them hooked and always leave them wanting more? With my sporadic posting, I must be an expert that way.

Anonymous said...

I keep pushing my button ....
but no tinglies. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Kate honey,

I think you must be pushing the wrong button... or maybe you need someone else to push it for you. ;-)

Sue H said...

Woe is me too, no tinglies for me either. "BIG SIGH", and I don't have someone else to push the button for me. hehe.
As for being "reliable", well I don't think that word is even in my vocabulary at the moment. Thank goodness we are all good little lab rats.

Anonymous said...

Wow - is that what it takes?? I've been posting a few times a week and I'm hoping my readership is growing.......

YTT said...

The advantage of no reply addresses is that it forces the recipient to look up the other person's blog. Which is how I found yours (because you left me a few comments with no-reply addresses. I used to think it meant the person didn't WANT to be contacted. Now I'm not so sure).