Sunday, September 23, 2007

Must be lamb today, 'cause beef was last week.

Ahh....the burnished crown, the swelling cloudy centre, the rush of heat and hint of smoky oil.






Yorkshire pudding
1 1/4 cup homo milk (can I get an "eh-men" from all you Canadians?)
4 eggs
1/4-1/2 tsp salt
Into the blender it goes. Let it stand a bit then add 1 1/2 cup flour, and turn the blender on. Leave it on while you heat the oven to 400 and pour a bit of vegetable oil into each of 12 muffin cups. When the oven is hot, put the muffin tin in until the oil just begins to smoke (about 5 - 10 minutes - WATCH IT). And yes, all this time the blender is running. When the oil is hot and ready, whip the tin out, turn the blender off, and fill the hot-oil-prepped cups with mixture to within 1/4" of the top. Back into the oven and bake about 15 - 20 minutes, til they look like mine.


Fill with gravy, stuff in face. (Even packaged gravy can't ruin these, by the way.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I luuurv yorkshire pudding. My Nana didn't make it nearly often enough and I don't either truth be told. Have you made toad'ntheole? (that's Toad in the Hole translated for you non British descended folk). Its sausages immersed in the yorkshire pud' batter. then you slice it up like lasagne (the bigger the chunks the better) and again, serve it with gravy. Oh yeah....

Ames said...

After Ox sees this post, I think I know what we'll be having soon. It has been too long, but yorkshies and Hades-like weather don't mix.

I've started a few fires in the oven with these things.

Gwen said...

Yes, I believe, those are visions of paradise. Yorkshires don't come easy, but I know they're out there somewhere.

clumsy ox said...

Never comes the day when I don't love me some Yorkshire pudding.

I actually found a "British Pub" place here that makes Yorkshire puddings out of your wildest dreams, but they're loathe to give more than one on a plate.

Anonymous said...

Two posts in one day? Way to mess with the rats.

I love Yorkshire Pudding. And Natalie, Toad in the Hole rocks. It was the first meal I learned to make when I was 11 (my Dad is a Brit). In fact, I'm making it tonight!!

Tabatha said...

Some friends of ours from Scotland got a real kick out of Homo milk. They even took a picture of holding the carton. Too FUNNY!

I love yorkshire puddings. Yours are very YUMMY looking. I have a recipe which is okay but I will have to try yours to see how they compare.

Shan said...

Gwen, you rock my world.

Natalie, I need snausies now.

Ames said...

Now, that song has been going through my head all day.

As an American, I do find the homo milk thing funny, as all milk is homo milk, unless, of course, you are getting it straight from the cow.

clumsy ox said...

Shan, Are you sitting comfortably? Gwen is indeed a world-rocker: veteran cosmic rocker, so to speak. Her quick wit might almost be called a legend of a mind.

I occasionally make Yorkshies for my lady, but that's been more rare recently. (Dear diary, need to be sure to make yorkshies again soon. Perhaps Tuesday afternoon?)

Still, it was good to see yours have risen quite nicely: gotten higher and higher, in fact.

Ames said...

In the morning of my life and in the evening of my day, I will try to make my yorkshies look as good as Shan's.

Sue H said...

I've never been good at making Yorkshire puds, but my mum (Natalie's Nanna) makes the best. When we were younger, she'd make extra and we'd have some for dessert with jam (jelly; preserves; whatever you North American's call it) Next time I go for lunch to my parents, I'm going to request Yorkshire pud. Yumm.