Thursday, June 19, 2008

Everybody's Doing a Better Job Than I Am.

Today it's my sister who has poked me in the eye and made me cry. She has written such a beautiful post about the strength of women. Here is an excerpt for you.

Whatever it is that your daughter excels in, encourage her. One day, maybe I'll hear your daughter playing the piano at the Chan Center in Vancouver. Maybe she'll perform my hip replacement surgery, 50 years down the road. Maybe I'll totter over to her veterinary clinic with my sick Teacup Poodle. (Okay, maybe not that one.) Perhaps we will watch her dive, or sprint, or win the long jump during the 2020 Olympic Games. Maybe your daughter will grow up and teach my grandchildren grade 7 Socials. Maybe she'll be the one who offers me her seat on the bus.

My hope for my daughters is that whatever they turn out to be -- a dentist, a hairdresser, a tree planter, an obstetrician, a stay-at-home mother -- whatever it is, that they will love what they do, and do it well.


Thanks Gwen.

3 comments:

rickismom said...

Yes, it is a nice post... it's not the strength of women, but the power of dreams, of belief, and ofgiving choices

raining sheep said...

That is a great post. I have never had girls, just boys, but I feel the same sentiments. My one son when into graphic arts; the first thing my parents said was "he'll never get a job". My answer is 'when the passion is there, the money will come eventually, but satisfaction and hapiness will be there immediately'.

Dave Hingsburger said...

So, um, about your green eyed title, give yourself a shake - good writing should inspire good writing. Yes it was a good post, so where's your next great post? Our parcel should be there tomorrow, let us know 'k?