Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Speaking of Dishpan Hands...

As you can see if you just look above, or at www.bletheringplace.blogspot.com, Harry Potter is fast approaching. This year, with the release of both the Order of the Phoenix movie and the Deathly Hallows book, is a huge year for HP geeks such as myself.

Obviously, some Hogwarts knitting is in order.

There is a good amount of knitting in the Harry Potter series, and the film releases of each title give us a nice visual element that the books lack. There are good resources online for Harry Potter knitting, most notably Alison's pattern for the Weasley Sweater. In April, Alison's book Charmed Knits will be released, comprised entirely of designs inspired by the Harry Potter books and movies.

I know I want a Weasley, and the release of Deathly Hallows would be a great deadline for it. However, I don't have suitable stash yarn, so would need to actually purchase some new stuff. I am a bit out of practice buying yarn, and, strangely enough, feel a bit nervous about it. Weird, huh? I'm sure I'll get over it.

In the meantime, I got cracking on my Common Welsh Green socks.



I've been planning them for some time, and when I saw Sweet Georgia's colourway "Dragon" at Pick-up Sticks back in November, I knew it would be perfect. I am using Marnie Maclean's Wyvern sock pattern, with modifications. Should be nice and scaly when finished.

____________________________


And look what arrived in the mail the other day!!



I was reading Sue's entry about the only good way to eat a Tim Tam, and commented that I needed to have one of those delicious-looking biscuits before I die. (Not an imminently-expected event, by the way, just a list I've been keeping for years. "Things I Must Do Before I Die".) In the spirit of international (magical) cooperation and blogger generosity, Sue fired off a box of Tim Tams, with a couple of other little treats, all the way from Australia. What a woman! What a biscuit! The Tim Tams are everything she promised they would be - divine, chocolatey, wafery goodness. I'm already trying to figure out how I can order these on an ongoing basis. I don't know if I can face the rest of my life (after these are gone) without them. So far I like the Double Coat best. Natch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The perfect pick me up for when you are under the weather! What a treat.
I'm thinking of doing some Potter knitting as well -- maybe I'll join you.

Jenny said...

Oh the chocolate looks divine!
Our family is huge Harry Potter geeks as well. Do you have the Harry Potter Scene it game? It's fun and the kids love it...I'm not so hot at it, but a good family game.

Anonymous said...

What time is tea today? I'll pop right on over. If it has chocolate on it I'm all over it.

Gwen said...

I'm into those Common Welsh Green socks. You should find a pattern for Norwegian Ridgebacks too. Only 127 days til Deathly Hallows.

Sue H said...

Ok, my interest is piqued! What is the Common Welsh Green sock?? As I am half Welsh (my Dad is Welsh, I was born in England) I love anything "Welsh". I take it that the pattern has something to do with HP, and that too makes me want to get it as I am a Potterphile.
My fave Tim Tams are the Chewy Caramel, closely followed by the double coat. Mmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

2 things:

1. How do you find such pretty fruit in midwinter? I tried and failed to find a single orange worth buying today.

2. Having just watched Harry Potter #1 on TV tonight, I have a yarn suggestion for the Weasley sweater. What about Bartlett? kpixie.com has them; very rustic and heathery looking.