Thanks ever so, Readership, for your kind compliments on St Brigid. I should note, regarding the subbing in of the Rogue side panel, that the underarm of the sweater looks substantially different than what you'd get if you left the double moss in. Here is a (rather poor) picture of the underarm, with the Rogue cable on the left, leading into the double moss border that goes up front and back of the shoulder. The sleeve, obviously, proceeds off to the right. Had I knitted it according to the pattern, that entire section at centre and centre-left would be double moss (or, as it is sometimes called, "basket-stitch"), as is the section at centre-right.
All I did, once I finished the shaped cable on the side panel, was to knit two or three rounds reverse stockinette, then switch to double moss. I figured - rightly, as it turned out - that it wouldn't matter what this part looked like as it would be hidden under the arm. It looks fine, actually, even if it weren't hidden, and I don't think the untrained or uncritical eye would pick it out. As my grandmother used to say, "A blind man running for his life wouldn't stop to look at that."
Onward and upward. I have gamely waded in on the SRP 2007 (Stash Reduction Plan, for those just joining us) and made what I think is a good start on my next sweater. This one, from Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature, is meant to be worked in wool. However, I didn't have an appropriate wool in the stash, so I have decided to do it in cotton.
I know - you're not necessarily supposed to do that. It may all end in tears. After all, if we start substituting yarns, willy nilly, the natural order of things will be overset, and all of Narnia will perish in fire and water...blah blah blah. I was very careful, swatching assiduously.
I was actually surprised, on reading the pattern, to find that it was worked in wool at all. The model looks more cottony, definitely a summery style I think you'll agree, and I believe the exchange will work well this time.
I will say that this cotton yarn, unyielding and ropey as it is, knits up beautifully but is murder on my hands after working with wool. Well, I say "murder", but what I really mean is "a bit painful".* I am eyeing the cabley bits, yet to come, with misgiving. The only solution is to start something woolly, so I'll have an alternate project when the flanges start a-screamin'.
* (I am sometimes given to hyperbole. Even excessive hyperbole. Also redundancy.)
Something woolly, you say? Something like, maybe...... this?
I have never shown you this picture, my fellow yarnaholics, for fear you may actually mob my house. I got this order back in...November, maybe? from Pick Up Sticks. It was a late-night impulse buy after a referral from SP-M. These are four skeins of Sweet Georgia sock yarn, in Dragon (chartreuse), Merlot (far right, almost-solid red) and Life Aquatic (superwash, aqua). There is also one skein of Seacoast Raspberries, which is going to be beautiful knitted up. I haven't decided yet whether they will all be socks, or gloves, or whatever. I can't do much frogging with them, though, as I suspect the yarn to be felt- and pill-prone, as soft as it is. Gorgeous, though.
Before I leave you, some definite eye candy, in the spirit of New Beginnings:
Welcome to January's-end on Vancouver Island: 1.5" tulip shoots. Don't tell me the globe isn't a little warmer.