Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Missed the Saturday dance

Don't really post much anymore.

I was going to do a whole thing where I changed all the lyrics and made it funny and cute, but I couldn't think of a computer-y rhyme for "-ore", so I bailed.

I watched "The Exorcist" the other night. It's an odd choice for me - I don't like horror in general. But it was coming on "Encore Avenue", which is commercial free, and I thought "This movie is a huge part of our culture - maybe I should give it a look."

It was interesting - quite rude actually. Half the horror is just the disgusting things that demon does and says while inhabiting the body of this little girl. I was so worried about it that I Googled Linda Blair to check how old she was when she was asked to say those things. She was 12, but it turns out a grownup said the really bad lines and they just voice-overed it. So that's good.

But any rate, the movie wasn't as scary as I had expected, probably because I turned the volume down to almost nil, and looked away during the worst bits. GREAT ending though.

I kept saying "Aw, poor kid" for the entire two hours.

Knitting a lot but nothing I can show you.

I'm going on a hike tomorrow morning, early...plans are to leave at 7:00 AM. I'll try to remember to bring the camera so I can show you the good bits.

5 comments:

Dave Hingsburger said...

boy is it hard to get those words below, this is my second attempt. The Exorcist was one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, I mean a little girl in a room with a priest! ... no, no, I'm joking there, but wow, it shook me. I'll never watch another exorcism movie again in my life. And pea soup, I'll eat it but it's got to be prayed over.

Shan said...

Yeah, it was pretty yucky. I'll tell you, if I had seen it in the theatre, where I had no control over the volume, I'd have been so scared.

In reality, what I watched was The Exorcist: Cliff Notes. Nicely vetted to make it palatable, even all alone at 12.30 in the morning.

Pea soup - har har! Love it.

Valerie said...

There's a bit of irony that you are reading Secret Scripture when you chose to watch The Exorcist. IMO, the priest in Secret Scripture is a lot, lot scarier.

I really liked the book. Hope you will write about your reaction to it.

Happy Hiking tomorrow!

Gwen said...

Oh, I love your title! That's all it took to get the song in my head for the rest of the day.

I really hate it when Hollywood has little kids saying and doing things that little kids shouldn't be saying and doing. HATE IT. What kind of parent signs their kid up for that? Poor little tykes.

Audrey said...

I watched the Exorcist this past weekend as well and like you I found myself saying pretty much the same time..."Poor kid". My parents wouldn't let me see the movie in the theatre and I'm glad they took a stand on that. While it's tame compared to horror movies of today the movie left me feeling rather unsettled.