Friday, January 27, 2012

Down With Synthetics!!

For years I've been lauding the merits of natural fibre. I remember in the early 1990s, trying to find yardage for sewing that had no acrylic, polyester, nylon, and so on.

And NOW look what they've discovered.

Billions of fleece items made from recycled pop bottles don't look quite so good now, huh? It turns out you can run from plastic, but you can't hide. When are they going to just stop making this stuff? The day after Never, I'm thinking. And my poor children, and yours, are going to have to deal with the toxic shit we just keep buying, wearing, and throwing away.

And cancer? I bet cancer is laughing its head off right now.

Earth Day is coming up. It's a good time to make, or renew, a commitment to sustainable, eco-friendly clothing. You should consider it -- for the health of your family, your body, your home and the planet...more or less in that order.

6 comments:

Ames said...

And, since we have the soap box out, just try to find something NOT made in China.

Shan said...

Yeah, totally. It's hard but I've been doing it for about two years now and it's GREAT.

Of course, one wonders how superior the methods and eco-practices are in, say, Bangladesh...but I'll take it!

Annalea said...

Thanks for the reminder, and the great article. I live in an area where local is important, and there's a lot of locally-crafted things. (From fabric made in China, but at least it's one step in the right direction, eh?)

I'm really looking forward to making my own . . . well . . . everything.

Gena said...

Ewww! I hate that it's so hard to find clothes that aren't synthetic these days, especially workout clothes (especially here in the American South where "green" is almost a bad word). Companies are always touting how their clothes are stronger and longer lasting or stain resistant, but it makes me wonder what crap they put in it to make it so.

Susie Hewer said...

Thanks for the link Shan; I'd missed that.

The BBC had an article in their Countryfile prog a while back showing the contents of a seagull's stomach and it was full of bottle tops, ring pulls from tin cans and fishing line.

We are certainly guilty of not taking care of our world.

Susie Hewer said...

Oh and I forgot to say that the winter rugs I've just put on my 2 old horses were made in China!